Monday, April 02, 2007

A Step Into the Unknown by Jade Macrae Henderson

I was stocked up on bug spray, sun lotion and wet wipes. I thought I was well prepared for my six month stay in India. I've been here a month now and I've realised that those items are not as essential as I once thought. All you need here is an open heart and an open mind. I have experienced so many emotions ranging from happiness to anger to sadness. There was one particular day when I woke up thinking of home. By breakfast I was missing home so much that it brought a tear to my eye. On the journey to Tadiwala Road I was serioulsly contemplating that I wasn't suitable for the position and that I should go home.
As I walked into my balwadi the children looked so happy to see me and shouted 'Auntie' at me excitedly. When I sat down I took some time to observe all their smiling faces. It made me realise that I couldn't leave them. I felt I would be letting them down, as well as myself if I were to leave. This thought has motivated me to accomplish everything I can think possible to help and and to assist these children . Now whenever I feel homesick I think of how much fun I am having here, working with the children. It has made me realise that an open heart is a happy heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home