Friday, September 02, 2005

Never a dull moment


Regular readers of the blog will be keeping an eye on Roy’s frequent updates from City of Child, which are posted online whenever his handwritten dispatches arrive from Kasurdi. I’ll try and avoid duplication, but I thought I’d talk about the fun I had when I paid the place a visit earlier this year.

Actually, it was my second visit. I’d first turned up the week before with a busload of fellow volunteers (local and international) who’d been corralled into helping out with a spot of gardening. The weeds had flourished over the winter and it was high time for a blitz – so blitz it we did. Shovels, picks and bare hands were used to clear the banks and verges. A crack unit was dispatched to clear the playground. Meanwhile, the little terrors resident at City of Child stood by and closely watched our handiwork, offering the odd suggestion here and there and helpfully letting us know if we’d missed a bit. Bless them.

After a break for lunch and the traditional CoC song and dance performance it was time to return to Pune. On the journey home Hans asked me if I’d like to go back for a few days, along with fellow volunteers Lizzie and Vreny. Why not? A chance to retreat to the countryside and an opportunity to get to see City of Child in action. And to get to know the kids of course.

When we turned up a few days later it was hot, but the air was considerably cleaner than Pune City and the absence of traffic noise was welcome. The children were already off at school in the village, so we had a little time to relax and settle in. Then, deciding to make ourselves useful, Lizzie and I set about reconstructing the dry-stone wall whilst Vreny went to help out in the kitchen. I think she made the wiser choice given the conditions.

Before long with kids were returning from school and we joined in a few games. I’m pretty hopeless at cricket but when you’re umpire-batsman it’s easy to make sure you’re not dismissed to easily… Later on I had a crack at kabaddi – I formed a one-man team but was eventually brought down by the combined efforts of half-a-dozen pint sized opponents.

We stayed for just three days, but had a tremendous time. In the morning we’d walk some of the younger ones up to school, sometimes picking up a couple of village kids on the way. Then we’d pass the time with a bit of landscaping, or clear out a store cupboard or fuss around the kitchen. I had a crack at making chapattis but my revolutionary triangular design was frowned upon by the maushis and I was swiftly hustled away with an ominous wave of the rolling pin.

You learn new skills every day at DGS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home