Monday, April 02, 2007

Getting Stuck In and Getting a lot Out by Zara Leslie

Starting my adventures in India was a challenging thought. When I arrived the heat was intense, the flight was long and I was ready to shut my eyes and go to sleep. However, my eyes opened promptly when I saw the poverty that some endure in this country.
Working for Deep Griha has opened my eyes to some of the conditions that the people living in the slums experience. When I was put on the creche and balwadi project I was enthusiatic and ready to make a difference. However, I started to feel deflated with the progress we were making as it was very slow paced. Motivation was low and the teachers in the balwadis seemed a little reluctant to help. Over the last six weeks working on this project I have witnessed first hand what a little bit of initiative can do and the difference it can make. Our team has shown determination and created improvements within the creches and Balwadis with regards to education and hygiene. For example, children are now washing there hands before and after meals and have a more positive attitude to their surroundings. This progress makes me feel that every little bit of help makes a huge difference to these childrens lives. I am really looking forward to measuring the outcome in five months to when I arrived. Its safe to say that for the next five months and for a long time after I'm gone DGS will certainly open my eyes to the lives that others lead and how fortunate I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home