Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Food: the other “F” word

Food. The other “F” word. Pasta, pizza, ice cream, rice, chocolate, curry, steak, burgers, frogs legs, cous cous, chicken, haggis, caviar, kangaroo, squid, hedgehog, shark, crocodile, emu and a Scottish delicacy: deep fried Mars Bar (a chocolate bar)… I could continue. Just the thought of all those culinary delights makes my mouth water (apart from the frogs legs, Mars Bars and hedgehog!) It is very strange that something so fundamental to our human survival could be so disgusting yet so appetising, so plentiful yet so scarce, so cheap yet so unaffordable, so strange yet so normal, so healthy yet so quadruple-coronary-heart-bypass-inducing.

I apologise – a few weeks eating relatively basic (but very good – don’t get me wrong) food consisting mostly of rice allows me to appreciate my Western indulgence even more. I seem to remember one of the first things that stuck in my mind was the food here in India – which was a cultural shock of its own.

I must admit that, having tried many of the strange things on this planet, nothing could have prepared me for the sheer difference and variety of food in India. I am struggling to adjust my palette to the spice and the textures of the food over here but once I do I imagine I would enjoy this amazing food even more.
One difference between the food in India and Westernised food is the health associated with it. While some of the food may be relatively simple, it is so much healthier than a greasy hamburger from a fast-food restaurant or a foodstuff packed with industrial Government-permitted chemicals. After six months in India I would imagine my health would improve drastically – for example I would feel less tired during the day and my moods would improve generally.

So as I’m writing this and having munched through a pile of sugared sweets from a local store, I can’t help but look forward to six months of the unusual and delicious foods of India. The fact that I will become ill once or twice is all worth it and just a minor setback to all the varied, tasty and colourful foods over here.

-Roy Walker

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home