Sunday, September 25, 2005

On the road


Very often when I’m out and about in an autorickshaw, we’ll pull up at a busy junction. Perhaps a few hawkers will appear, selling rickshaw tariff cards (very handy) or small toys or dusters or laundry baskets. Often there’ll be a beggar or two, asking for a few rupees. Usually this will be a child – probably under 10 years of age – or young mother holding a babe in arms. Invariably they’re pretty filthy. This is unsurprising. Spending all day out on Pune’s roads will leave you covered in a layer of grime from all the fumes, smog and general air pollution, which is terrible.

In several places around the city there are ‘Pollution Watch’ signboards. I’m not quite sure what the prominent number refers to, but whatever it is the ‘Permissible Respirable Limit’ is supposed to be 50. Rarely is the recorded figure much less, and very often it clocks in at over 100. And what the sign hints at is always confirmed by the throat and lungs – you can feel it even on a short journey. I don’t have a set theory about giving money to beggars. If I feel like it then I do, if I don’t then I don’t. I’m definitely in favour of giving funds to organisations that work with the homeless. I don’t subscribe to the theory that giving money directly is always a bad idea. Except perhaps in this case.

From a health point of view, I can think of very few things that are worse that breathing in toxic fumes all day. The stuff is poison. It’s bad enough for adults, but for babies and small children it’s even worse. Respiratory problems are just the start. There’s significantly increased risk of brain damage, and you can easily see the toll the pollution takes on eyes, hair and skin.

I’ve heard it said that the women and children involved in this activity are part of organised gangs and are sent out to work the roadsides. Perhaps – I have no evidence either way. But not knowing how to actively discourage the practice, I just keep my change in my wallet. I don’t feel good about it, but if I thought for a second that handing over a few rupees would get them off the roads quicker then I’d do it. Sadly I just don’t think this is the case. So in the meantime, let’s be thankful for DGS, CYDA and any other organisations working to make a difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home