Tuesday, September 13, 2005

A “Link” to the world

As you may already know, Deep Griha has been receiving volunteers since 1981, who help out at different projects around Pune and at City of Child. A main provider for volunteers is a small, Scottish (Dundee based) Gap Year organisation known as “Link Overseas Exchange” which has been sending out volunteers around the world for some time.

Link Overseas Exchange began approximately 15 years ago with the aim of providing an invaluable “Link” for volunteers to experience a culture different than their own and to help people less well off. Over the years, Link has sent out more than 300 people, with the aim of keeping the volunteers to a minimum – only 60 a year. This allows for a very high degree of overseas support and the ability to treat every volunteer as an individual.

At the moment Link sends volunteers to three countries – India, China and Sri Lanka – although they have sent volunteers to other countries in the past such as Nepal. Next year they plan to send volunteers to Romania, which sounds like an incredible placement.

After I left school I could not decide what I wanted to do for my future. Beforehand I decided to take a Gap Year to decide what direct I was going to turn in life, and soon after I decided I would travel and see the world. I decided this because I have an inner thirst to travel induced at an early age thanks to my parents (and several other deep, meaningful reasons that I might include in a future blog!)

I eventually chose Link after sifting through a long list of money-making organisations and arriving at one located just a few miles from where I live, one I never even knew existed! Eventually I went down to an information day and was completely taken aback by the organisation. I instantly knew this was for me, because Link seemed to exist for all the right reasons. They seemed to want to help volunteers and other less well off countries, while maintaining strong links with the people they employ. They had the character of a small organisation but the professionalism of a large organisation. I eventually chose them – while they chose me – and I have never looked back and here I am today.

Roy Walker

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home