Friday, December 09, 2005

Just one step

When I arrived at Deep Griha back in January, one of the first things I took a look at was the recently approved DISHA funding application. Hans invited me to read the proposal, and I quickly learned about all these interesting plans for Gat Pramukhs (peer leaders), Field Supervisors, nutrition programmes and of course the clients themselves.

A few days later – in my part-time role as DGS photographer – I went out with Avinash into the community as he went on a recruitment drive for potential team members. What do I mean by going ‘into the community’? I suppose by that I mean getting out of the Family Welfare Centre office and walking around the Tadiwala Road area. I used to feel I kept myself a little isolated from the community; yet now that I’m living a minute away from the FWC I get recognised constantly and feel a lot more a part of things, especially following the recent DIHSA events.

I looked on as Avinash gave a series of small talks about DISHA and invited people to sign up for the Gat Pramukh interviews. Meanwhile, suppliers were being found for the nutrition programme. Pharmacists were arranged to provide the supplements required. In fact, I was amazed at how quickly things came together. Like many people I had a fixed (mis)conception of ‘Indian time’, meaning everything taking ages. But I was wrong. Within a matter of three or four weeks, the Gat Pramukhs had been found, interviewed, and undergone initial training. The decision had been made to provide low-cost SAM therapy to clients. By the time I left Pune in March, there were already more than 15 clients and the programme was properly up and running: the Dancing Stars were in motion.

When I returned in mid July, DISHA was firmly established as a project. Of all the teams I’ve observed – in a variety of situations – the DISHA staff really are the closest unit I’ve had the pleasure to be involved with. Which leads me to World AIDS Day. The morning rally was a great way to kick things off. As we all snaked around the route – picking people up along the way conga-style – you could see how well know the team are known in and around the area. Their strength is that they are largely drawn from within the very community where they work. The rally was a great success, although we had a lucky escape when we missed crashing into a funeral procession by mere seconds…

Then in the evening, it was time for the Celebration of Life. There were so many highlights. Seeing the DISHA women up on stage in their beautiful matching saris. Watching Anita, Manisha and Jyoti stand up and announce their HIV+ status in front more than 2,000 people from their community - our community. Watching the kids from the Street Play Competition perform unfazed by large crowds, failing microphones and technical glitches. They understand what HIV/AIDS is about. They – hopefully – will continue to educate their peers and reduce stigma about the pandemic. Watching Mukesh and his crew putting on a great themed dance. It’s difficult to explain in words but the dance illustrated wonderfully the concept of HIV, CD4 counts and opportunistic infections. I hope we can post up a video clip.
The Celebration of Life had a great impact on so many different people. In the days following, I couldn’t buy a newspaper, get a haircut or grab some food without someone mentioning the show and pointing at the red AIDS ribbon on my bag.

From a 10-page proposal back in January, DISHA has made stunning progress, but the real work starts here. The Celebration of Life was just the start. As the Chinese say, a journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step. Let’s make it a dance.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant Paul!

8:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home