Sunday, November 13, 2005

Be the change you wish to see in the world

Every week I have the privilege to join the DISHA Team as they work to improve the lives of People Living With HIV/AIDS (PLWHAS) in the Tadiwala Road area. I have been volunteering with the team since March and truly do find it a privilege to have the opportunity to work with such a dedicated, friendly, and caring group of people. Although I try to help out in whatever way I can to assist the project, I have no doubts that the project is teaching me more than I could ever hope to offer. I have spent time in the communities visiting clients and families, have shared in training sessions and discussion groups, been to hospitals to see how the medical system works in India (and make clients smile if I can J), seen a hospice caring for patients, contributed to programmes and activities and most importantly been empowered and inspired.

The DISHA team are tackling an issue in India that no one wants to talk about or deal with. In a culture that barely allows public affection in its streets, discussing the realities of a disease such as HIV is an immense challenge. Step by step, DISHA is doing just that by reaching out to families, men, women and children in an unassuming and effective way. It is even more inspiring to see people who have the disease themselves reach out to work with, educate and help others in their communities – sharing their own experiences and offering strength and hope.

I always look forward to new adventures and the opportunity to learn when I visit DISHA. Because I work full time in Pune in a mostly westernized environment, it is very easy in this cosmopolitan city with its shops, gyms, restaurants and night clubs to forget the realities of the situations that the majority of the Indian population live with. I love my dose of “real India” as I am guided around the maze of Tadiwala’s roads and pathways by the staff who often have to be as my bodyguards when groups of children follow me or translate my rough local language skills so that I can chat with people too.

It is exciting to see the impact that DISHA is having. From the turnout at exhibitions where DISHA shares information on HIV/AIDS its obvious that people want to learn – it’s just a matter of finding the way for them to be able to do so without embarrassment or fear. I am thrilled to have had a chance to play a small part in the success of this grassroots project and have great hopes for the many lives it is impacting.

As Ghandi said - “Be the change you wish to see in the world “ – Thanks to DISHA who are doing just that every day.

Rachel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home