Friday, November 18, 2005

Experiences-Good and Bad!

Hello and welcome to another blog by that uneven-tanned, blister-footed, blue-eyed volunteer you may know as Roy Walker. It’s been about two and a half months since I first immersed myself in the amazing Indian way of life and again a lot has happened since my last update.

I have finally sorted my placement at Deep Griha. For two weeks of the month I’m out at City of Child, helping around, playing with the children, giving Santosh computer lessons getting up at 6am for exercise. For the rest of the time I’m at Ramtekadi, giving fairly intensive English lessons for school drop-outs. None the less I am having a lot of fun so far from the many once-in-a-lifetime experiences I’m having.

After the cleaner found a large scorpion in my bathroom at CoC I thought (hoped!) that would be the last of my bad experiences. I was mistaken. On the 20the September I was calmly getting ready for bed when I saw a shadow in the corner. I yelped, jumped out of bed and saw that it was a scorpion. I think I must have looked a wee bit like a caveman – jumping around in my boxers, long hair blocking my view, trying to bash the thing with a stick and making a monkey-like screech when I missed and it ran after me! I think it was more scared of me.

Only a few days ago I was sitting outside the dining hall when Nadim came up and said to me, “Small snake, come!” I got up with interest and sidled to the front, when I saw a snake that was anything but small. I saw a six foot (six foot!) snake writhing around on the ground from getting its head smashed in by Santosh. I could see that it was highly poisonous and while everyone initially said it was a cobra, it turned out to be another type of poisonous snake. That was one experience I won’t forget!

After overcoming a nasty bout of the illness and getting over the mouse that jumped out of my towel when I was showering, I went back to Pune to see the world-famous Ganesh Festival. It was good fun. Later on in the month we went to a show at St Mary’s school, which we watched under the flight-path of massive bats that looked like small eagles. I thought it was very good to se the professional creativity of the children there.

A few days later, back at CoC, I could hardly conceal my shock when Julie – pet dog – had locked itself in my room for two days, shredding my mosquito net. We released her by smashing a window and opening the door from the inside with a large cane. Poor thing.

I am really looking forward to the next few months filled with different experiences, both good and bad. I just hope they happen slow enough for me to absorb and fully appreciate them.

-Roy Walker

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home