Thursday, March 02, 2006

Rice, rice and more rice!

Sitting under a palm tree watching the sunset, you couldn't do this in Dundee. It's mental and to add to it all its absolutely boiling. I feel a tan coming on.
When I first arrived in India all I could see was a sea of Indian people all huddled together outside of the airport. Scared, that's what I felt. After that I just felt numb and still do. On my way to Deep Griha I seen a lot, smelt a lot and really didn't think I would like it, but I do. It's so different here compared to Dundee, for one, you don't get buffalos walking past you in the street and it's not just one it's about 4!!
Arriving at Deep Griha is all a blur now and seems so long ago but the one thing I can still remember is seeing the smiley faces that welcomed you on the arrival. The next day when everyone eventually woke up we all got to taste the food for the first time and I actually enjoyed it. Now I think I've ate enough rice to last me a life time.
In the first week we spent most of it just looking around and getting to know the place. We got taken around the three different slums which really open my eyes and made me realize there's more important things than worrying about not having enough toilet roll. People appreciate things a lot more over here than what they do back home. What I expected was nothing like reality. I was thinking that once I started to work then the days would go a lot quicker and they have. Also in the first week I got to ride an elephant which was amazing because I had never seen a real life elephant before so I was totally in my element and loved every minute of it.
The night before I started work was my worst night here. All I could worry about was them not liking me, getting compared to former volunteer's, what if they didn't like what I was teaching them? But then the morning came around I had calmed down and was quite excited about the day ahead. When I got to the to the creche it was noisy and they were hyper but at the same time it felt good to be here. I had been waiting for a year to get here and the time has passed so quickly and I'm here! Before I left when people asked about what I was doing (whether I was going to Uni or working) it was always easy to say I'm going to India for six months but it's another thing actually doing it! Being away from your family and friends is really hard but it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and I would have regretted it if I didn't take it.
Well after my first day at work I felt so good because I was worrying over nothing and I felt as though I could do it everyday no problem. It also feels good to have people around you that are doing the same thing and feeling the same, but we're all in good hands so there's no need to worry. The only thing that bothers me which I didn't think would is the language barrier. The kids are asking you questions and repeating themselves and the only word I really no is 'Ha' but I'm sure I'll learn a little more after all we are here for another six months.
Well I think I've rambled on enough but there is still lots of things that I want to say but can't think of right now apart from I'm really looking forward to spending the next five and a bit months in India.

Sam Duffy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home