Monday, April 02, 2007

Getting Over the Language Barrier by Kirsten Gauld

Today was the day that I made the first real connection with the teachers and helpers in my Creche at Ramtekadi. Often when the children are asleep we just work in silence. Today I got out my notepad and started to draw. I showed the teacher and helper and they started to copy what I had drawn. Before long it had turned into an English/Marathi lesson through art. I started to draw the outline of a child and then the helper wanted me to draw her. Once I had finished I showed her and she was ecstatic and she showed all the helpers in the creche opposite. Although the language barrier was still there after that conversation, communication was a little easier and now I can't wait to go back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home