Thursday, September 29, 2005

My time spent at DGS

I joined DGS about two years ago. I had just finished school and had joined junior college and as a result had a lot of free time on my hands. The first few days were spent in learning how to work the computer which insisted on just not working most of the time. It took some time to build up my confidence as there were a number of things that scared me- faulty computers and printers, deadlines, cheques that would appear out of nowhere and the worst one: I couldn’t speak marathi which most of the staff converse in.Two years later, I still can’t speak marathi, but I make myself understood. We still have a problem with computers now and then but I’ve learnt to handle them pretty calmly without messing it up. I enjoy spending time at DGS which has become a home away from home. From filing work (ugh!!) and annual reports to Sudesh begging me to eat something, it’s been a great experience.

I can’t even begin to think of all the things that DGS has done for me. Thanks to their Commonwealth Youth Exchange Programme I got a chance to go to the UK. I got to make a bunch of new friends both here and abroad. My self confidence has increased and most of all I feel like I can make a difference however small it may be. Thank you Deep Griha. I hope I can give back atleast half of what you’ve given me.

-Cheryl Chakranarayan
Aadhar Kendra Volunteer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home