Tuesday, January 03, 2006

My experience at Manavya…

After reading one of the earlier blogs I felt like sharing my experience at Manavya (an NGO which shelters orphaned children and destitute women living with HIV/AIDS).
The moment we reached there, smiles hiding behind the wall welcomed us. While listening to the information provided by the co-ordinator, few kids managed to grab our attention.
Most of us could not help but start playing with them. Before we realised we were mobbed by at least four kids each, who wanted to paint our fingers, few were busy enjoying the human jungle-jim where as few just wanted to sit next to us and look at us.
After a while the shy ones who were hiding behind their friends joined the fun. First few minutes passed in an attempt to know each other’s names followed up by giving up with the same within few minutes and continuing to enjoy.
Interestingly, a girl named Shobha wanted me to wear her favourite bangles and was excited about the fact that I asked her for the ones that matched my t-shirt. She refused to take them back though they were her favourite ones.
Interacting with each one of them one could easily notice their need - their need for attention, touch and a potential relation of a brother, sister or a friend.
Meanwhile, we decided to have a small dance workshop, where I was supposed to teach them a few steps. I failed miserably in my attempt to make them follow my steps and ended up following them, which indeed was much more fun.
I was dancing with them with several thoughts gushing in my mind – many questions, ideas, emotions and so on. By the end of the dance session it was time for us to leave. But a unanimous request from a bunch of kids left me speechless as I wanted to avoid a fake promise– “You will visit us next Sunday na?”

- Rujuta Teredesai
Aadhar Kendra volunteer

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What were the questions?

3:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home