Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Big Difference

Ok, so, back in Pune and it feels like I never left. When we first came home, the house seemed a little empty - we were the first ones back from travelling and there were only 4 of us there. We soon got used to that and enjoyed the space! First time back in a rickshaw and it felt normal - going along the bumpy roads , onto "death road", straight to MacDonalds...or was it Pizza Hut?? I don't remember. Nevermind, the point is I never noticed how much Pune has become home - it's strange to think of what life is going to be like when I go back to Scotland. My mum keeps telling me she thinks she is going to "see a different lassie" - I think she is right.

What I mean is when I was talking to my friend from Scotland the other day she was going on about how she really wanted this new top that she had seen but couldn't afford it, I asked how much it was - 40 pounds! For a top! She kept telling me that her life would be ruined if she couldn't get the money for it because she needed it to go with her new jeans for a big night out! I swear this girl has at least 50-60 tops that she could choose from. 20 minutes she went on. Was I ever really like that?? Unfortunately yes - I was - and not so long ago either. After I spoke to her I thought about how people in Scotland are compared to the people I am working with just now. Here's what I found - most people in Scotland - well not just in Scotland but all over Europe, the US etc etc - have more than they need, no? But, we are always wanting more, constantly complaining about what we don't have and are never satisfied. I think we must spend about 3/4 of our lives unhappy and complaining.

Now - the people I am working with don't have much. I have never once - in my whole time in India - heard anyone complaining about wanting more. Not once. They live their lives thankful for what they have rather than obsessing about what they don't have. They are happy and smiling and laughing all the time - it doesn't matter what possessions they own.

Imagine what a life filled with laughter must be like - you don't need the best of everything to be happy - if anything it's going to make you more miserable because when something goes "out of fashion" you're going to have to get the "latest trend" - if you can't afford it - BAM - you feel like your life is ending. What a way to live your life!

You take a look around this community and you can see people are positive about their lives, positive about things they have in their lives. They don't constantly complain about every little thing. What do you think the world would be like if we all lived life like that?

An after thought - Sometimes life can be heart-breaking - especially out here when you see so many people - like Saraswathi - such a beautiful woman in so much pain. At least now she is free from that. Everyone that knew her can't do anything more but remember her and pick themselves up and carry on. And that's just what they do. They push on and keep fighting this battle.

Esther

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home