Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Less than 4 weeks

Well, what can I say, apart from it’s nearly 3 bloody weeks til I - and the rest of the Link volunteers - go back home to Scotland. It is so scary that we only have that much time left! There is so much left to do – like pack for one, check whether I’ve actually got a seat on the plane, and send home clothes that won’t fit in my rucksack.

Like my fellow volunteer David said in his recent blog ‘it’s down to a fortnight of work (Hang on WHAT?!), a week, (WAIT!), 3 weeks travelling (NO! I still need to…), 2 (WOW! TOO FAST!), 1 week (PLEASE SLOW DOWN!!!!), 1 day (BUT!…) In Scotland (WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!?!?!)’.

It will just go too fast for our liking, and before you we will be back in Scotland! How crazy is it – the 6 months have zoomed by in a blink of an eye! Although the first few weeks dragged and made us feel as though we were here for the long haul, the rest of the weeks (which have turned into months) zoom by like Michael Schumacher in his Ferrari!! That’s the only simile that springs to my mind, and I think it describes our time here to a tee!

Personally, my time here has been unforgettable, and I will cherish the moments. I’m sure, as time passes back at home, I will look at my India photos and think to myself ‘did I really do that’, and my mum will turn round and probably say ‘Yes, unless you have been hiding under your bed for 6 months’. She is funny; I miss her terribly, and in less than 4 weeks – YES 4 WEEKS!!! I will see her J.

But, there are certain moments of my stay here that will probably stay with me until I die like – visiting the Taj Mahal (but to be fair who would forget seeing that?), riding a camel and nearly falling off it, going to the ‘All American Diner’ in Delhi and having a hot dog – delicious.

But all of those are miniscule compared to teaching those brilliant kids, and helping out in the crèches! I don’t think Ramtekadi and Tadiwala will be the same without us! I don’t think Hans will be the same without us! He’s been great!! I think I will probably miss him the most!

Before I came out here, my friends kept saying that this would make me grow up so much! What can I say, it bloody has, I mean, going on a 40 hour train journey from Delhi – Goa. Most people would think ‘are you insane’, I probably was, and I know I was, but it was great.

I was talking to Tess (another link volunteer) and she mentioned how much I’ve grown up, and she also mentioned, that when I arrived in India, I wouldn’t go to the bloody shops without another person with me, and less than 2 months ago – WHAT!!! 2 MONTHS? – I was on a 40-hour train journey down to Goa!

On next Monday evening, I will be on a bus to Hyderabad, and guess what, I’m going on my own! I’ve grown up so much, I am going to spend just one week there – ON MY OWN! I can’t bloody wait!

You know, I’ve been writing this blog for a while now, and it made me think, why am I doing this when we’ve only got 4 weeks (less than) in India – I’ve got stuff to do.


Let’s hope Michael’s Ferrari breaks down!!

-Philip Ross

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home