Friday, September 30, 2005

A date with DISHA

On Tuesday I accompanied the ever-friendly DISHA team for a stroll down Tadiwala Road. Last time I’d joined them for a walk was in early August, immediately following the severe rains. Unlike then - when we were all wading knee-deep in fetid water - this time the sun was shining and the skies were clear.

As part of the HIV / AIDS Awareness Programme, DISHA organises regular exhibitions for the local community. Along with the usual poster display and a couple of short talks, the clincher is the audio-visual presentation. The generous gift of a projector has really helped DISHA to pack in the crowds. Particularly for Tuesday’s show as the room we used was only about three metres square.

I’d come along to help set up, since last time around there had been a few problems getting the projector working with the laptop. In the end the problem was relatively straightforward to resolve, although I did receive a few choice electric shocks from the equipment. In the spirit of make-do-and-mend, Avinash handed me a pair of rubber flip-flops and I was able to continue in relative safety… if not total peace of mind.

There were a couple of 20-minute films on show during each screening. The first was in cartoon form, with the second a more traditional documentary. Both covered sexual health, potential sources of HIV transmission, getting a blood test and so on. The first screening was for men and boys, with second exclusively for women and girls. Naturally I was banished for the second show and joined the DISHA team outside for a cup of tea.

I’d taken my digital camera along and managed to get some great photographs - unfortunately, you won’t be seeing them here. When transferring them to the PC I somehow managed to delete the lot. What with the electric shocks and now this I’ve not been having much luck with technology recently. I think I’ll stick to flip-flops.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danny White said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home