Sunday, July 23, 2006

What can I say?

rAlmost at the end of our time now...I know people will end up being sick of blogs about our leaving but here's another one. Ha ha. I'm looking forward to going home now, seeing all my family, friends and my boyfriend that I haven't seen in 6 months. Although I'm excited, part of me is always going to be sad at what I'm leaving behind - all the friends I have made here, the kids I've gotten to know, the work that has become daily life for the past 5 1/2 months and yes I'll even miss living in a house with numerous other people - how strange is it going to be with just me and my parents - and having to queue up for the use of my own straighteners?

However I will be back at some point next year - hopefully in early 2007 - if Hans will let me of course, he's maybe had enough! I can't actually think of what to say - it's a weird mix of feelings, excitment, sadness, a little nervous about not knowing how much I have changed until I get home. I think every one of us here will have changed in some way. No-one can do what we have done, see what we have seen and be the same person when they go home. The way we think about everything is going to be completely different - it's really scary not knowing what to expect.

About my time working with Deep Griha - in his latest blog, Hans described all the volunteers as "a team that has so embraced Deep Griha like no team has done before", all I can say to that is whats not to embrace? The laughter, the smiles, the feeling of being welcome the second you step through the doors, being part of a team that to be honest is more like a family that you are brought into at your first meeting?

For me this experience has been both the best experience of my life so far and a bit of a challenge. The people I have met I will never forget - including those in Bidar. There are things that will always make me smile when I think about them - like Kumar dancing at Sahara...Kumar dancing anywhere for that matter, visiting the Bidar fort with the DISHA team, playing carrom, countless nights out which were filled with laughter and usually ended in a sing-song, sitting on the balcony at the DGCC with another volunteer talking about the most random of things. The list could go on and on.

I don't even know how to start saying goodbye to everyone here, especially to Kumar and Anand - how do you say goodbye?

Esther

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home