Sunday, August 27, 2006

And the beat goes on...

Deep Griha Blog
'On with the dance' Hans always says (and it took me 2 months to find out where that sentiment came from). And that's just it: the dance at Deep Griha Society will continue long after Sara and I leave - which is in 3 days' time. We've only been here two months and for my part I can say it's gone like so many autorickshaws - quickly, and at times stomach-churningly! But already this place feels so... 'normal', whatever that is, and it will be strange to leave. But you've all heard that before, countless times no doubt, as volunteers come and go in an endless cycle of fearful beginnings and tearful goodbyes. I really don't know how the hell staff keep up with and humour the volunteers who express the same sentiments as those in the same boat a few months previously. In fact there's a lot I admire about the peope who work here. They've heard us complain about the most insignificant things and only smiled knowingly in response. They work their asses off for the good of others.
Yesterday, we cleaned up the creches at Tadiwala Road. It felt good to get my hands dirty and see the results of our work. The new Link volunteers got right in there and scrubbed and painted til they harldy looked like the same rooms. That's when I realised - this whole affair, working for NGOs - it really shouldn't be about 'self'. Working as part of a team, whether scrubbing all manner of nasty things off floors or having the phone hung up on you as you try to fundraise for the 'Wake Up Pune!' campaign, there's no room for ego. The beat will go on if you leave tomorrow, although you can at least feel confident you did your bit, however insignificant that might seem. Not that it ends with one little trip to India. Watching DISHA at work, getting involved with 'Wake Up Pune!', giving a presentation to a very enthusiastic group of Girl Guides at Sangam - all these things have ignited some fire in me about HIV/AIDS awareness, so I plan to take my attempts at dancing Pune-style back to sunny Scotland (and they HAVE had more sun at home this summer - bastards!).
I always think it's a shame that the blogs here can be a little single focus... I guess it's because HIV/AIDS is such an emotive issue. But for the record I'd like to point out that DGS does some amazing work that's not related to this (saying that, Neela has taught me that all the issues dealt with here are inextricably linked). But right now the hot topic for some of us is the campaign (which finally looks like it's going to be a success) to kick Pune's ass into gear and stop the stigma. Shame I'm missing the rock show - some of the girls here have seen the ridiculous way I conduct myself when there's a bit of the heavy stuff playing. I'm afraid I'll have to deprive everyone of the Dreadlock Windmill, which is a great way of getting some elbow room in a big crowd (which of course, there will be at the show in November!)...
Well, off I go then, dancing to the beat of the Hindi films I've become hooked on (or perhaps a little motivational rock). Keep up the good work y'all!
Mo Ford (DiA).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog..you have here!!! I was just running around the web the other day and came across, this airfare consolidator called Cfares..Awesome stuff man!!! If I was a Jamaican, I would scream “YA! MAN!!”…anyway… you have to check it out.. it’s something like $50 per year...and unlimited discounts!!! It’ totally cool man..amazing deeply discounted fares.. you have to see it to believe it..

http://cfares.regalix.com/cfares/cfares/index.jsp?channel=blpo8&adgroup=deepgriha.blogspot

Mmm I wonder how much a trip to Jamaica will cost me??..

2:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home