Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Great Expectations? HIV and AIDS Research in Tadiwala Road by Joanne O'neill

Interviewing doctors has always proved a difficult task, at least at home anyway! Long working hours and heavy workloads to mention but a few. Initially I had reservations about going into the community of Tadiwala road slum areas to meet the local doctors. It was my first encounter with a slum so I was feeling a little dubious, for one not knowing an ounce of Marathi or Hindi and then expecting a questionnaire to be completed, was I expecting to much??? I owe a big thank you to Shakuntala for arranging all the appointments and for breaking the ice with the doctors, it was down to me after that to get the data required, so out came the smiles and the “Irish Blarney”!! Each doctor greeted me with a grand Indian handshake, offering chai or a chilled drink. They were more than happy to share their thoughts and personal experiences with unlimited time, in fact I often had to usher my own exit, as I was very conscious of patients waiting outside. Most waiting rooms were crammed with eager waiting patients, in fact some doctors surgeries were more like mini hospitals, with beds of patients connected to intravenous drips and all sorts! So I was very aware of time. Overall it was an amazing experience, despite the lack of resources a feeling of compassion was very present with most of the doctors. They were very receptive and all expressed a desire to learn more regarding the management of HIV. For me, it was a very fulfilling experience and one I won't forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home